Our Forever Family

Our Forever Family

Monday, March 16, 2015

First Day of School...Again

Well, the boys started their new schools today.

I was very nervous for two of them.  And not for one.

The oldest has moved a lot and lives on charm, so he will be fine.  All he has to do is flash his baby blues and give a seemingly modest laugh and people flock to him.  I find it very weird.

This is also a blessing and a curse.  He has an easy time of it socially...but I think it is hard for him to know how much work should go into friendship with give and take and he probably has a hard time knowing who his true friends are and will be.   But...for cases such as these, like moving to a new place, he is just fine.

The second oldest is very bright and quirky.  Which is great.  He is outgoing in general but was pretty shy when I dropped him off this morning.  And sometimes his brilliance can be off putting to other children.  So I was nervous.

The third in line can be downright odd.  Feisty and aggressive when he is nervous or anxious, he has a hard time relating to other children.  He is very bright as well but often uses that cleverness to try to get around rules rather than work in the system which can be exhausting for teachers.  He would make a good rogue spy or dictator of a small country...which are not necessarily great traits when you have moved to a new area and want to make friends.  So I was nervous for him as well.  I gave his teacher a heads up on his behavior challenges and I left.

After school, I picked up Riley and he was beaming.  He had made some friends.  I nearly fell over with joy.  His teacher said that he had a great day and had no trouble but that she would be prepared if he did and it would be okay.  I almost cried.  He even introduced me to two of his new friends and they acknowledged him.  That doesn't always happen for him.

Spencer also had a great day.  He made several new friends and some of their parents came over to introduce themselves and welcome us.  What?!

We've had a lot of that here.  Lots of welcoming.  Our neighbors are friendly.  The people at church are friendly.  The school people are friendly.  So far, so good.  

And then I picked up the oldest.  He was limping a little as he was stung by a bee last night on his toe (ouch!) but otherwise had a great day and made lots and lots of friends.

So...first day went better than I hoped.  Let's see where we settle in and what the boys settle into socially and academically.  But for now, yay!


No comments:

Post a Comment