Our Forever Family

Our Forever Family

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Videos


Well...Spencer took a chunk out of his knee.  He was racing to the stairs, the mat slipped under him, he fell toward the stair rail, then collapsed to the ground in a scream of pain.  Broke the stair rail.  And bloodied his knee.

After a few minutes and a measurement with a ruler, the gash was about 1 inch across - there was no way I was measuring the depth of the wound - but they say if it is 1/4 inch deep or it is on a bendable part of the body or has jagged edges that stitches might be necessary.  I looked it up in my book.  That I always reference.  Because I am a book nerd.  

So I had the thirteen year old carry him to the car and off we went.  

Riley came with us and James stayed with the baby, who was asleep.  

Well, Husband met us at the hospital and took over so I could take Riley home.  

Two points:  

First, when the nurse found out that Husband was staying she made sure he wasn't a fainter.  
My husband?  Uh no.  Definitely not.  
He is missing some sort of compassion gene or something.  And I think you would need that to feel someone else's pain.  He has fervently promised me, however, that he will try to cry at my funeral if I predecease him.  (And yes, I am aware of how odd our senses of humor are...) 

Anyway, I assured her that husband was not a fainter.

Me, watching blood poor out of my baby?  A good possibility.

The other nurse thought Spencer might only need some glue so I left Spencer in capable hands and ushered a feisty Riley out to the car.  



Which brings us to point number two:

Riley wanted to stay and watch his brother get stitches.  

I practically had to throw him over my shoulder and take him out of that hospital.  I urged him on at every turn, every step.  

And then he wouldn't put on his seat belt.  And I refuse to drive unless the children are safely buckled.  So I promised that if he put his seatbelt on and was good the whole way home (ten minutes) I would find a youtube video and let him watch someone get stitches (all while I was wondering why anyone would post video of someone getting stitches).

Well that did it.  He put on his seat belt and sat quietly.

Which explains the picture above.

Yes.  The boys watched several (!) videos of people getting stitches on youtube.  

I think it is within the realm of possibility that someone is going to have nightmares tonight.

But they didn't seem woozy or anything when they were watching.  Just really fascinated.  Is it too much to dream that one of them might become a doctor?  One would have great bed side manner and no interest in memorizing facts, the other would use his brilliant mind to dominate a field but pretty much make every patient cry.  So...

Moving on.

When the nurse handed Spencer the pain chart with the faces, I could not look him in the eye.  He knows the Brian Regan sketch by heart and I couldn't have him bust out laughing when the nurse is trying to ascertain his needs.  Spencer finally settled on 4ish.  But I could see his eyes dance at the 8-10 range.   

Oh my.  

Well, this is life with boys.



No comments:

Post a Comment