Our Forever Family

Our Forever Family

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

More House Stories

The boys built a side table for the small bunk bed room.

It turned out well. 


*****

Two of the shelving units fell apart in the move.  They were old and inexpensive and we knew they might not make it.  Well they didn't.  Husband may scavenge the still usable shelves and doors for another project (and toss the bones) but in the meantime I needed a shelf for the two boys in the blue room.  

I checked online, in stores, and at the home consignment center.  

I usually don't go to consignment centers but when we first moved down here a decade ago, a friend told me about this place.  It is the most unusual store.  There are barely pathways to walk through (I have no idea how they don't have fire code violations) and they have the most eclectic furniture from all the high end houses in the area that like to change around their furniture more often than normal.  It is the place where I found my beloved roll top desk (for only $300!) and a few other cherished items.  The place is often hopping with people making deals (yes, you can haggle there!) and the inventory changes constantly so if you don't find what you are looking for, you can check again tomorrow.  

This can be a dangerous place to visit because you will always find a thousand things that would be really awesome to take home.

However I needed a shelf. 

The two younger boys and I wandered the barely passable walkways, measuring and taking pictures of things that we liked.  (I put Riley in charge of the pictures and ended up with a lot more pictures  of green furniture and accessories than I would have otherwise taken...)

I found one shelf that I liked.  But I wasn't sure that I couldn't find anything better.  So we took a picture and left.  Well, I looked high and low for something as simple and elegant as the shelf we found.  And for a decent price.  To no avail.  

So I asked Husband to pick it up for me.  He did.  And he got $20 knocked off the price.  What a guy! 
 


Isn't it beautiful?

*****

Remember this bed?  So neat and pretty.

Well James was told that if he had a bigger bed, he would have to make it every day.  (Bunk bed beds are so hard to make, especially on a top bunk...so I usually don't put up much of a fuss about bunk bed neatness...just give me some effort and make it look passable.)  But this bed was not a bunk bed and not hard to make.  So James was warned (and he agreed) to step up his game.  


This is the picture of his second attempt to make his bed.  The first one was so pitiful that I swore I would take a picture and shame him on the internet if he didn't give it a real effort.  The bed cover was diagonal for goodness sake!

This is a little better...  

But I think we are going to engage in some bed making lessons this week. 


In other big bed news, Ev has decided that the big bed is his.  

The baby has claimed it.  He has jumped on it, rubbed his face on the pillows, taken his blankie and put it under the covers.  He even climbs up, gets under the covers, and pats the seat next to him, inviting you to come to his bed for a short cuddle visit.  The audacity of that child is astounding sometimes.  

James is taking it in stride but I wonder how long that will go on....

*****

We still have some major projects in the house to do, like open up the small pantry, and build bookshelves in the library so we can unpack the last forty-six boxes (all books) and put together a living room furniture set.  ( I foresee another trip to the consignment center when that times comes....) 

But for now, the house is slowly, but surely coming together.

No comments:

Post a Comment